Ta' Braxia Cemetery cemetery is one of Malta's historic sites.
Ta' Braxia itself was commissioned at the time of the Crimean War, in 1856, as the existing burial grounds and cemeteries available for non-Catholics, in particular the Msida Bastion, had reached full capacity. Cemetery was designed by young architect Luigi Emanuele Galizia. and progressively enlarged over the years. Nowadays it houses about 5,000 burials.
During World War II Ta' Braxia was damaged due to bombing.
In the centre of the Ta' Braxia cemetery stands gothic chapel which was commissioned by Lord Stanmore in memory of his wife, Rachel, who died in 1887 and who is buried behind the altar. The building, which was consecrated in 1893, was designed by the London architect John Loughborough Pearson.
The cemetery covers a wide area and contains not only many beautiful and important monuments but also interesting flora and fauna.