The history of Dock No 1 dates back to 1848 and was first used as a servicing point for galleys operating in the Mediterranean. It was the first dry dock to be constructed in the Mediterranean Basin by the British. Later it was enlarged and the existing dry dock was completed in 1921. The complex includes the dock buildings, which comprises of two warehouse systems, with overlying stores.
In 2014 the project of Dock restoration was completed. The whole area has been rehabilitated and the two sides of the promenade are now linked by a 40-metre steel bridge. The boundary wall was removed and landscaping have turned the former eyesore into a peaceful recreational area. The project included the construction of green areas, fountains, street furniture and decorative lighting.