Saint Paul`s Pro-Cathedral located in Valletta is an Anglican cathedral. Being rather young – it was constructed in the 19th century, the Cathedral has become an organic part of Maltese antique architecture.
The construction of Saint Paul`s cathedral started in 1839, after the British Queen Adelaida`s visit to Malta. She found out that there was no Anglican church in the island and financed its construction. By the way, this cathedral was the only building of non-military function whose construction was sponsored by the British Royal Family.
The English architect William Scamp was in charge of building the new cathedral that was decided to be constructed on the site of Auberge d'Allemagne. On the 20th of March 1839 Her Majesty Queen Adelaida placed the foundation stone of the future first Anglican cathedral in Gibraltar.
The former building, Auberge d'Allemagne was sort of a hotel built between 1571 and 1575 and belonging to a monastery. The knights of Saint John`s Order used to live here. For the sake of constructing the church it was demolished. By the way, it was the only Auberge in Malta demolished on purpose – the other ones were ruined during the World War II.
The building of the church was finished in 1844. The construction was designed in neoclassical style and its height reaches 60 meters due to the spire which is notable from the Marsamxett harbor. The facade of the building is decorated with six Corinthian columns.
The altar of the cathedral is decorated with oak panels which are dedicated to the memory of Allied forces that had been defending Malta during the World War II and twelve flags representing the British military forces are still there. Also, the hand-crafted organ built in 1684 is located inside. It was brought from England and previously was settled in the Chester cathedral.