Giordan Lighthouse is an active lighthouse on the Maltese island of Gozo. Located on a hill above the village of Għasri on the northern coast of the island.
Giordan lighthouse was built during the period when the islands were part of the British Empire and began operation in 1853. But it is known that an earlier lighthouse was standing at this site from around 1650. During World War II, the lighthouse was used as the location for an early warning radar station. The radar would provide information about bombers coming south from Italy, allowing air raid sirens to be activated prior to the raids.
Due to its hill top location lighthouse has a considerable focal height of 180m above the sea and consists of a flashing white light every 7.5 seconds. Originally, the lighthouse had 21 purpose-built oil lamps, seven on each of its three sides. The brass reflectors were silver plated, which in addition to a system of large lenses, made the beam visible a full 38 miles away.
The lighthouse site is a tourist attraction, providing a panoramic viewpoint across the island, and can be accessed by car or by walking up the steep hill from the village. If the lighthouse attendant is around, you may be able to take a look inside, and perhaps climb the spiral staircase to the top of the lighthouse.