The characteristic feature of Maltese landscape is the abundance of towers, walls and other fortifications built during numerous attacks of Turkish army in the 14th - 16th century. The perimeter of the island is surrounded by series of thirteen small watchtowers named De Redin Towers.
They got their name after Grand Master of Saint John`s order Martin de Redin who financed the building. The towers were built in the period between 1658 and 1659. The soldiers could see the neighbour towers maintaining in such way the connection in order to have the possibility to warn about the pirate ships coming. For this purpose the smoke, cannon shots and fire were used.
In 1715 some towers were modernized and coastal batteries were installed. In 1760 some entrenchments were built near the towers and they had been existing up to the beginning of the 20th century. During the British reign some towers were decommissioned and in late 1900s the British authorities demolished three of them in order to clear the space for new fortifications.
By the end of the 20th century nine towers of 13 had remained and during the first decade of the 21st century they were restored. Nowadays they are important tourist attractions protected by The Heritage Malta. Saint Julian`s tower nowadays functions as a restaurant and Hamrija tower is part of Hagar-Qim and Mnajdra complexes.